Observatory visits

Welcome to LAS Forum and Discussion Board

Observatory visits

Postby meteorgw » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 am

We had a visit last night from Fiskerton Scouts and Cubs and were fortunate to have clear skies. Everyone had chance to see the Andromeda Galaxy and Pleiades star cluster through the 12" Newtonian. They all seemed to enjoy the experience and one young man seemed very keen so, hopefully, he will soon become a member. They bought lots of pens, badges and postcards and even a few NIght Scenes plus a generous donation from the group to LAS funds. Many thanks to Guy and his wife for their assistance. If you know of any groups that may be interested in a visit please put them in touch with me. Graham, visits organiser.
meteorgw

Re: Observatory visits

Postby meteorgw » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 am

Another visit last night by a Beaver colony from Wragby. Sadly, clouds prevented any use of the telescopes but they seemed to enjoy themselves. They asked lots of sensible questions during the slide show and were very attentive throughout. They also went away with a lot of our souvenir badges, etc and their leader left a donation for LAS funds. Thanks to Barry for his help and showing the Beavers the workings of the telescope and observatory.

As the Beavers were leaving the members of the imaging group arrived for the two-weekly meeting. No imaging was possible but Mick gave us some expert help with processing in Pixinsight. There were not so many people this time. Do come along if you are interested in getting into photographing the night sky. Whatever limited equipment you own it is worth having a try. Just look at the excellent picture of the moon on the observations page by an 8 year-old with a phone camera. However, be warned that it can become an addiction!

Graham
meteorgw

Postby meteorgw » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Last night's visit was by Beavers from Bracebridge Heath, just 12 of them plus their adult leaders. The sky was mostly cloudy but we managed to give them all a quick look at the double star, Albeiro, in Cygnus. The leader bought them all a badge for their camp blankets and gave a generous donation. The main computer in the lecture room was actually working last night, instead frequently dropping the connection to the projector! As usual, they enjoyed turning the knobs on the solar system model. Thanks to Barry for his help.
meteorgw

Postby DIYastronomer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 am

We had 16 noisy Beavers Wednesday night from Bailgate in Lincoln. Again clouds stopped us viewing anything but they did enjoy the telescope moving on its own- no hands required!!. Again we received a donation to the society funds and one of their leaders bought them all a badge. Bill helped in the observatory.
DIYastronomer

Postby meteorgw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Waddington Cubs were our next visitors on Monday and the skies were rather overcast, but Barry kept his eye on the sky and part way through the slides he came in to announce some breaks in the sky. Just as well we moved quickly as there was just enough time to give them all a view of the double star, Albeiro. A generous donation from the group and all the Cubs went away with a badge.

I had a rest on Wednesday when Phil took over and was assisted by Bill. Bailgate Beavers were the young visitors this time though they were not lucky with the clouds. There must be a lot of our badges around Lincoln now! We almost had a second visit from some Explorer Scouts to follow on after the Beavers but they decided to arrange for the new year instead.

I was back again tonight more Beavers, 12th Lincoln. Barry was due to assist again but had an unfortunate car accident on his way to the observatory. I am pleased to report that there were no serious injuries but we shall see Barry in a new car soon. The clouds were breaking up as they arrived so we had a quick look at Albeiro, some through thin cloud, then showed a few slides and dealt with some good questions. They were keen to see more through the telescope so we went out again and the clouds had gone. All had a look at the Andromeda galaxy. I am grateful to the adult leaders for their help in Barry's absence.

The plan was for Chairman Dave to take over for a visit from a group of Welton Methodists, but with Barry unavailable I decided to stay and help Dave. With it being a clear sky the whole visit was spent in the observatory which gave time to see Andromeda galaxy, Albeiro, ring nebula, double cluster and Pleiades. Pleased to them using the donations box as they left - they should be used to a collection!

I delighted that we have so many people learning of our wonderful hobby. Two more visits next week and one the following Monday then it will calm down until next year.

Graham
meteorgw

Postby meteorgw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:29 am

A visit by Harmston Young Farmers was completely clouded out last night so they had to settle for the slides and a demonstration of how the telescope and observatory work. There were about 20 visitors and they got quite noisy at times but they showed a lot of interest and there were many questions, including the often asked "do you believe there are aliens?" LAS funds benefitted again from a good donation. Thanks to Glyn for his help.

We have another visit on Friday by the Lincoln Level Shots, a clay shooting club, but I shall not be adding any more posts now. The purpose of these posts has been to make members aware of the work the LAS is doing in providing information on astronomy to the wider community. Please do let your friends and realtives know of the LAS and that any groups they are involved with can organise a visit to the observatory. For most people it is something really different and it is surprising how many people are still unaware that Lincoln has an observatory.

Graham
meteorgw

Return to LAS Forum