BAA Back to Basics Meeting

Welcome to LAS Forum and Discussion Board

BAA Back to Basics Meeting

Postby meteorgw » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Lincoln Astronomical Society are proud to be hosting a Back to Basics Meeting of the British Astronomical Association at The Collection on Saturday 14 March. The BAA take these meetings very seriously and send their top speakers so it is a rare opportunity to hear their talks without having to travel very far. The talks are suited to beginners but I am sure all of us will learn something from the day, and it is great chance to meet some of the top amateur astronomers in Britain. It should be a wonderful day and we hope that you will support the event.

You can only book tickets for the event from the BAA and the closing date is 1st March, so book now before it is too late. Full details and booking forms available from http://www.britastro.org/lincolnb2b. If you are really last minute telephone booking can be taken at the BAA office,
020 7734 4145.

Please note that even LAS committee members need to book through the BAA.

Regards,

Graham
meteorgw

Re: BAA Back to Basics Meeting

Postby meteorgw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:26 am

The BAA have just let me know that they are extending the closing date for bookings to 9 March.
Graham
meteorgw

Re: BAA Back to Basics Meeting

Postby meteorgw » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 pm

The BAA B2B meeting took place yesterday at The Collection and was attended by 49 people and 6 had booked but did not show. Our visitors were from as far away as Clacton and Bath but also included several LAS members.

The BAA speakers had also travelled long distances but they did us an excellent job. I greatly enjoyed the day and hope that everyone else did as well.

Phil took along his solar scopes and they were briefly in use at lunch and afternoon break when there were some short gaps in the cloud.

The Collection is an excellent venue and I would not hesitate to use it again for a large meeting.

The only negative is that the BAA were disappointed that there were not more attendees, having been aiming for 75 to 100. I do not know what more we could have done to publicise the event. Perhaps the problem is that we do not have enough centres of large population within easy reach. The last B2B was held in Glasgow and before that Rugby.

It is a feather in the cap of the LAS to have hosted a BAA meeting and we should be proud to have done so.

The LAS needs more members to get out and do some observing. The Tuesday observing sessions usually only attract about six members, even when skies are clear. It would be nice to have twice that number or more with some submitting their observations to the BAA or Society for Popular Astronomy. Also note that progress is being made with the radio astronomy project, so soon there will be observations that are not weather dependent. If you are making observations from home do let us see them and they can be displayed on the website whether photographs or drawings.

Regards, Graham
meteorgw

Return to LAS Forum